clear

Creating new perspectives since 2009

Gaza ‘humanitarian catastrophe’ undermining support even in ‘pro-Israel’ nations: Poland

August 22, 2026 at 2:49 pm

Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski gives a speech in Warsaw, Mazovian Voivodeship, Poland, on February 26, 2026. [Artur Widak – Anadolu Agency]

Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said the “humanitarian catastrophe” in Gaza and the failure to ensure accountability for the Israeli military’s “excessive use of force” were undermining public support even in nations supportive of Israel.

“Partnership requires mutual respect,” Sikorski said Thursday on US social media company X.

“The humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza, as well as the failure of accountability for IDF’s excessive use of force are undermining public support in even pro-Israel nations,” he added.

His comments came as Poland’s Foreign Ministry expressed “great disappointment” over Israeli military authorities’ decision to discontinue proceedings into the April 1, 2024 shelling of a World Central Kitchen humanitarian aid convoy in the Gaza Strip that killed Polish citizen Damian Sobol.

READ: UN: 94 % of Gaza residents need shelter and basic household supplies

The ministry said the Israeli ambassador in Warsaw was summoned following the decision, which Poland was informed of on Aug. 19.

Warsaw conveyed a critical assessment of the steps taken so far to establish the circumstances of the incident and said it expected Israel to provide Polish authorities with all necessary explanations and materials requested by Polish investigators.

The District Prosecutor’s Office in Przemysl is conducting a parallel investigation into the case, the ministry said.

“The circumstances in which the tragedy occurred in 2024 should be fully clarified,” it said, adding that it did not accept “the perpetrators’ evasion of legal and moral responsibility.”

“The families deserve appropriate redress,” the ministry added.

OPINION: A roadmap for Gaza and Palestine