clear

Creating new perspectives since 2009

Syria warns continued Israeli attacks fuel regional tensions, demands UN action

August 22, 2026 at 4:30 pm

A damaged civilian vehicle is seen following a reported attack by an Israeli army unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) in the countryside of Quneitra, Syria, on August 22, 2026. [Hüseyin Meşal – Anadolu Agency]

Syria warned Saturday that continued Israeli attacks on its territory would fuel tensions and instability in the region and threaten the safety and security of civilians, calling on the UN Security Council and the international community to take action to halt the Israeli assaults, Anadolu reports.

In a statement, the Syrian Foreign Ministry strongly condemned an Israeli drone strike on a civilian vehicle in the town of Beit Jinn in the western Damascus countryside, injuring several people.

“This attack constitutes a flagrant violation of Syrian sovereignty and territorial integrity, as well as a blatant breach of international law,” the ministry said.

It added that the attack was the latest in repeated Israeli attacks on Syrian territory and held Israel “fully responsible” for the repercussions of these attacks. It warned that the continued attacks would heighten tensions and instability in the region and threaten the safety and security of civilians.

READ: US says intelligence behind Israeli strike on Syria air base was wrong

The ministry called on the international community and the Security Council “to shoulder their legal and political responsibilities, work to halt these attacks, and put an end to Israel’s repeated violations of Syrian sovereignty.”

The SANA news agency earlier said that one person was injured in the attack, without giving details about his condition. The Israeli army, for its part, claimed that the targeted person posed “an immediate threat” to its forces operating in the area.

The strike came days after Israeli warplanes carried out eight airstrikes targeting the runway of the Abu al-Duhur airbase in northwestern Syria’s Idlib province, causing material damage to its infrastructure, according to SANA.

Israel has occupied most of Syria’s Golan Heights since 1967. Following the fall of the Bashar al-Assad regime in late 2024, Israel declared the 1974 disengagement agreement collapsed and moved into the demilitarized buffer zone and other areas, including the Syrian side of Mount Hermon (Jabal al-Sheikh).​​​​​​​

Since then, Israel has expanded its attacks across Syria, targeting weapons and missile depots as well as strategic military sites.

READ: Israeli drone strike injures 1 in southwestern Syria